The Oregon Folklife Network makes a meaningful difference in Oregon communities and Tribes by documenting, supporting, and celebrating our diverse cultural traditions and empowering our tradition-bearers.
OFN conducts folklife fieldwork and engages with communities, organizations, and Tribes to increase public awareness about Oregon’s living cultural heritage.
The Oregon Folklife Network serves as a hub for statewide folklife activities in partnership with the Oregon Arts Commission, Oregon Cultural Trust, Oregon Historical Society, Oregon State Library, and Oregon Heritage Commission, along with community partners including Tribes, community-based cultural organizations, museums, regional cultural alliances, local arts agencies, K-12 schools, universities and colleges, and public libraries.
The Oregon Folklife Network opened its doors at the University of Oregon in Fall 2010. Adopted by the Museum of Natural and Cultural History in 2018, OFN represents a collaboration between the UO, statewide agencies, and grassroots organizations.
- INVEST in traditional artists and empower culture keepers to maintain, develop, and pass on their living heritage.
- CREATE new opportunities for folk artists to present their works to the public.
- PROVIDE a wide variety of accessible folklife programs for Oregonians.
- DELIVER technical assistance and professional development to organizations, Tribes, and communities interested in preserving, presenting, and promoting their cultural traditions.
- PREPARE the next generation of public folklorists through experiential learning and career opportunities.
Oregon Folklife Network staff members offer consulting to individuals and organizations that are planning or exploring folk and traditional arts opportunities. Assistance can range from a simple email or phone conversation to more in-depth consulting. Reimbursement for travel (at state rates) or staff time (at $25/hour) may be requested for consultations that require substantial time; however we make every effort to keep such costs to a minimum. Contact us to see how we can help.